Friday, August 8, 2008

Father's Day

Yesterday my father would have turned 50.
Unfortunately he never got to live past 40.
A heart attack at 40. I guess it was befitting for me to have had 2 at 17 then, huh?

I think about my dad almost every day. There isn't a moment that goes by that I don't wonder what life would have been like these years, if my dad had lived.

In October, I get to visit my fathers family, my family, in Palestine. I'll see where he grew up, where he was born, where he became a man. His older sisters will tell me what I'll never know on my own.

In October, I may be able to fill the hole in my heart where the knowledge of that part of my family is. See my cousins. See my aunts and uncles. See this part of my heritage that feels so close, but so far.

He's alive. He's in my heart, in my thoughts, in my memories every day.

I miss you daddy. You're with me always.

No comments: